Monday, October 20, 2008

Sunday Gumbo


Seeing the picture of Ben sitting behind the pot of gumbo prompted me to get out my big pot and make a gumbo yesterday. I was able to get all of my ingredients ready while the roux and juice were boiling. I make chicken and sausage gumbo...even though for every bowl of c&s gumbo he eats, Michael will ask me to make a seafood gumbo. Maybe one day. My gramdma makes gumbo just like this!!
After the gumbo was made and the Saints lost their game, Ben woke up from his nap and we made cookies. These are the cookies out of the book by Jessica Seinfeld, Deceptively Delicious. I make them often. They are a very healthy version of chocolate chip cookies...there are chicpeas in them. Also, there isn't as much sugar and no egg yolks, only the egg whites. Another great thing about these cookies is that they keep their shape when you bake them. I use a little ice cream scooper and they are perfectly round on top and flat on the bottom. I put them in the freezer (notice the ziploc bag) and put a few in Ben's lunch everyday. I don't have to feel guilty about him getting junk...and they have lots of fiber because I also add raisins and oatmeal!!

If you have this cookbook and kids, get it out and look and see if there are things in it that your little one wouldn't eat when you got it but would eat now. Ben has discovered that he likes cheesesticks just recently and there is a healthy version in it. Next I am going to try the chocolate dip for fruit. Ben eats an apple almost everyday. I need to jazz those apples up soon or he is going to get tired of them, just like he did broccoli.

1 comment:

Stacia said...

I really think I'm going to check out that book. Every time I see it I think I'll buy it and then don't. Those cookies sound really good and I remember some of the other things you told me about making and being able to sneek my Ben!!