Thursday, October 23, 2008

How much do you throw away??

I used to laugh at my friend Amy for walking out of work with the boxes that the Capri Sun juice pouches come in. Then I noticed a plastic bag hanging on a hook in her class with scrap paper in it. Don't get me wrong, we recycled cans, paper and plastic in New Orleans because we had the blue bin to put by the street with our trash can every week. Well, Amy was actually taking this stuff home and putting it with her household recycling and bringing it to the recycling place. That seemed like a lot of work for me, so I just gave her my stuff from my class so she could bring it too. I know that Amy is a smart girl so I decided to try it. Let me just tell you. We have one of those big, rolling trash cans that is so big a riding lawnmower could fit in. I started with everything--milk jugs, milk cartons, newspaper, plastic bottles, cans, cereal boxes. We were averaging a bag of trash from the kitchen can everyday, sometimes more. That is at least seven bags a week. Now, we only have about three bags of garbage in our can at the end of the week. Oh no, it didn't all just disappear. Now, it is all in my garage. (Thanks Amy) Now, about every other week, Ben and I load up the plastic containers that are set up to keep everything separated into the car and go to the recyclers. I have to admit, I look forward to going to the recyclers. I feel like I am doing something for the Earth. If you don't recycle already, START!! (or you can bring your stuff to Amy and she will recycle it for you)

By the way, the picture is of the recycling that I accumulated in one day in our house. After I took the picture, I added an olive jar. It adds up very fast!!

No comments: